Weighing about four pounds, the liver is the largest gland of the body and the only internal organ that will regenerate itself if part of it is damaged. The liver has many functions, perhaps the most important of which is the secretion of bile. This fluid is stored in the gallbladder and released as needed for digestion. Bile is necessary for the digestion of fats; it breaks fat down into small globules. Bile also assists in the absorption of fat-soluble vitamins ( A, D, E and K) and helps to assimilate calcium. It promoted intestinal peristalsis as well, which helps prevent constipation.
The liver also acts as a detoxifier. Protein digestion and bacterial fermentation of food in the intestines produce ammonia as a byproduct; the ammonia is detoxified by the liver. The liver combines toxic substances (including metabolic waste products, insecticide residue, drugs, alcohol, and other harmful chemicals) with substances that are less toxic. These substances are then excreted via the kidneys and the bowels. Thus, in order for the liver to function properly, you must also have proper kidney and bowel function.
Finally, the liver is responsible for regulating thyroid function by converting thyroxine (T4), a thyroid hormone, into its more active form triiodothyronine (T3). Inadequate conversion of T4 into T3 by the liver may lead to hypothyroidism. The liver also breaks down hormones like adrenaline, aldosterone, estrogen and insulin after they have performed their needed functions.
Four Basic Reasons for Poor Liver Function:
- The presence of cumulative poisons. Insecticides, preservatives and other toxins can build up in and impair the liver. Even though a particular toxin may not accumulate in the liver, liver function may suffer if the functioning of other organs, especially the pancreas and/or kidneys, is adversely affected by the toxin.
- An improper diet. A diet high in carbohydrates , saturated fats, fried foods and hydrogenated fats is hard on the liver and may not provide sufficient protein building blocks necessary for repair. Poor food choices include processed foods, junk foods, refined white flour products, white sugar products and imitation foods that are designed to appear and taste like an original product but that have been robbed of natural vitamins, minerals and enzymes.
- Overeating. Overeating is probably the most common cause of liver malfunction. Overeating creates excess work for the liver, resulting in liver fatigue. In addition, the liver must detoxify all of the various chemicals present in our food supply today. When the liver is overworked, it may not detoxify harmful substances properly.
- Drugs. Drugs put a great strain on the liver. Drugs are substances that are foreign d unnatural to the body. These foreign substances cause the liver to work overtime in excreting these toxins. The liver neutralizes the effects of drugs on the body. Alcohol is particularly toxic to the liver. When excessive amounts of alcohol enter the liver, the liver begins to lose its functioning capacity. Other substances that can contribute to liver malfunction include oral contraceptives and caffeine.
Detoxify, Purify, Strengthen & Rebuild
The bowels hold onto waste material longer than people realize. We do not eliminate everything we put into our bodies. Many times the waste and toxins that should be removed are reabsorbed into the body or collect and remain stagnant in the colon and other organs. Combine this with our inconsistent eating habits and you end up with chaos in the bowel.
This affects every organ in the body and every cell. Pura Cleanse and Pura Cleanse II are designed to restore proper bowel function and improve conditions such as colitis, diverticulitis, ballooning, strictures and ulcerations. One way degenerative diseases get started is when there is toxic material decaying in the sigmoid colon. Constipation and hemorrhoids are two common ailments associated with a toxic colon.
Allowing our bodies to build from a base of purification is the main part or prevention. Purification happens through detoxification. Properly detoxifying involves regular cleaning or the four channels or elimination: the colon, kidneys, lungs and skin. Ideally we should be eliminating two pounds of excess waste a day from each of these four channels. The root of illness is found in theses four areas.
Pura Cleanse and Pura Cleanse II are gentle and effective Super Herb and Fiber Mixes that cleanse the bowels and stimulate the digestive juices, voiding various toxins, allowing the whole body to more easily clean itself or irritations that may have built up over the years.
- Promotes bowel regularity
- 17+ Herbs that aid in detoxification and promote elimination from the colon
- 10+ Soothing Herbs to help soothe and comfort the bowel
- More than 6 Herbs to assist in rebuilding the bowel