What is the Endocannabinoid System?
The Endocannabinoid System (ECS) is a unique communication system in the brain and body that affects many important functions including how a person feels, moves and interacts.
- It is responsible for keeping our most critical biological functions in balance such as appetite, intestinal function, metabolism, stress response, sleep, mood, pain, immune function, and more by means of endocannabinoids or cannabinoids.
- The ECS has preventative and protective mechanisms, it balances and strengthens the nervous and immune systems, initiates pain control and calms inflammation.
- The ESC was discovered in 1990 and ongoing extensive research is being conducted ever since.
- Understanding the ECS is a critical task if we are to more effectively manage diseases, especially chronic, debilitating diseases for which there is no orthodox cure. For instance, if properly activated, the ECS is capable of suppressing numerous cancers and may be protective against Alzheimer’s disease.
Endocannabinoids: are chemical compounds our bodies naturally make to activate the receptors within the ECS.
- When the body gets out of balance and moved into a state of stress, endocannabinoids go to work to fix the problem.
Cannabinoids: chemical compounds originating outside the body. There are over 100 known compounds including CBD found in the whole hemp plant. CBD works as the switch that turns on the endocannabinoid system.
CBD prevents the breakdown of endocannabinoids, which helps to promote homeostasis to ensure optimal metabolic functions, nutrient transportation, energy storage and modulate insulin sensitivity.
Research as shown that small doses of cannabinoids from whole plant hemp can signal the body to make more endocannabinoids and build more cannabinoid receptors.
The ECS increases our ability to try have new perspectives and experiences. Evidence suggests that the ECS may be involved in generating subtle but therapeutic shifts in the ways we perceive the world, relate to our internal landscape, think and feel about ourselves, and interact with each other enhanced health and vitality now.