Cancer Brings Opportunity
Unlike death, disease offers us the opportunity to restore our life while remaining here on earth, in the physical form. Author Andreas Moritz writes in his book Cancer is Not a Disease, “Cancer only strikes when a part or parts of us are not alive anymore, physically, emotionally, and spiritually… Cancer is a wake-up call, prompting us to take our life back when it no longer feels meaningful. The alarm bell that sounds to wake us up rings painfully loud, which is good because we are more likely to respond to physical than to emotional pain.”
Diet improvement is one of the most promising natural therapies in greatly reducing your risk of developing cancer and if you have cancer, your chances of recovery will increase dramatically when you eat only natural foods. Nutrition deficiencies accumulate over a long period of time. Years of too much over processed/manufactured foods, trans fats, red meat, and way too little fruits and vegetables will leave our bodies with almost nothing to protect us.
Dr. Linda Page says, “Your diet is your major weapon against cancer. Whole food nutrition allows the body to use its built-in restorative and repair abilities. A healthy diet can intervene in the cancer process at many stages, from its conception to its growth and spread.” Dr. Page suggests the following foods that will assist in cancer-fighting nutrition:
- Vitamin C rich fruits and vegetables: citrus, tomatoes, peppers, broccoli offer anti-oxidant protection and neutralize cancer-causing free radicals.
- Yogurt and active culture foods: help neutralize carcinogens and de-activate enzymes that allow body substances to turn into cancer.
- Antioxidant foods: green and white tea, wheat germ, yellow, orange and green vegetables, citrus fruits, and olive oil help normalize pre-cancerous cells.
- Fiber-rich foods: whole grains, fruits and vegetables absorb excess bile and improve intestinal bacteria.
- Phyto-chemical foods: especially broccoli, cabbage, and cauliflower help break down carcinogens and remove them from the body. These same vegetable compounds also break down excess estrogens that are responsible for some types of breast cancer.
- Folic acid foods: wheat germ, leafy greens, beet, asparagus, fish, sunflower seeds, and citrus fruits. Folic acid is critical to DNA synthesis so normal cells don’t turn cancerous.
Regular exercise is also widely known to help activate in curing cancer. Andreas Moritz says that, “Since cancer cells are typically oxygen-deprived and exercise is a direct way to deliver extra oxygen to cells throughout the body and to improve the immune response.” Exercise acts as an antioxidant to enhance body oxygen use, altering the way body chemistry controls fat retention and accelerating passage of waste out of the body. Moritz indicates that researchers also believe that exercise can regulate the production of certain hormones that, unregulated, may spur tumor growth.
Dr. Linda Page says that exercising just 30 minutes a day can make all the difference. She says, “Exercising 3 times a week can almost be considered a ‘cancer defense’ in itself.” The Journal of the National Cancer Institute says exercising on a regular basis cuts breast cancer risk by 40%. Other tests find active people have half the risk of colon cancer as inactive people.
Dr. Page suggests the following steps will reduce the risk of cancer:
- Improve your diet: reduce intake of fats and sugars, reduce intake of red meats, eat fruits and vegetables everyday
- Keep your immune system strong
- Detoxify and cleanse your body at least twice a year
- Exercise 30 minutes a day
We don’t have to wait for disease to strike in order to realize that we deserve to take our lives back and start living for us. To have a meaningful life is to have purpose, so why not make yourself the purpose of your life. Live for you, eat for you, exercise for you. Regardless of your opinions and beliefs as to whether you choose traditional cancer treatments or natural therapies, addressing the physical, emotional and spiritual, I suggest you be behind your treatment with every ounce of your being. Believe in what you are doing, listen to your wake up call, be receptive to learn all the lessons, dive within yourself and rediscover who you are. There is no better time than now to awaken your inner being and to make the necessary changes to ensure you are living your best life!
Page, Linda: Healthy Healing, A Guide to Self-Healing for Everyone. Healthy Healing, Inc., 2004. Print
Moritz, Andreas: Cancer is Not a Disease. Ener-Chi Wellness Press, 2009. Print.