Coconut Oil offers a truly impressive array of health benefits when included in your daily diet. In addition to its antimicrobial properties, coconut oil is beneficial for promoting heart health and healthy brain function, supporting proper thyroid function, strengthening your immune system, maintaining healthy and youthful looking skin, providing an excellent “fuel” for your body and supporting a strong metabolism that can aid in weight loss.
Scientific research on coconut oil has revealed health benefits that affect your entire body, inside and out. Here are some great way to add Coconut Oil to your diet.
Replace your other cooking oils such as canola, corn or all-purpose vegetable oils with virgin or expeller pressed coconut oil. If a recipe calls for cooking at high temperature like a stir fry, for example—consider using coconut oil. Since it has a high smoke point, it won’t emit harmful free radicals as readily as other oils. Even baking can be done with coconut oil!
- Yogurt, Soups, Smoothies and Hot Drinks
Apart from using it as cooking oil, you can add coconut oil to your coffee, tea, yogurt or smoothies. First, you’ll need to melt your coconut oil slowly and gently. Then pour it into your yogurt and smoothies. This helps the oil from getting clumped in your cold food items.
- Salad Dressing
Though olive oil is best suited to salad dressings, go ahead and try a new option. Give your salads a different flavor by using coconut oil as the base of the dressing.
- Drink Coconut Milk
Skip your pasteurized milk and turn to homemade coconut milk. You will feel the taste of coconut oil in the milk. Use fresh coconut milk as a beverage in baking and in soups.
- Make your own granola
Granola can be made tasty and special when you use coconut oil to whip up an oaty, nutty mixture.
- Top your Toast
Instead of using good old butter for bread, use coconut oil the next time you make toast. Sprinkle cinnamon on top to make it delicious.
- Eat it up
Try taking a spoonful of coconut oil as it is. It is packed with health benefits so don’t resist the temptation of gulping it down your throat.
- Popcorn Preparation
Eating popcorn is a favorite while watching movies at a movie theater. However, when you are at home, cook the kernels in coconut oil instead of the vegetable oil. You will surely get a feeling of sweetness with every bite of popcorn.
- Homemade Energy Bars
These are a kid’s all-time favorite. Packed with healthy fats, they are a great natural source of energy.
- Coconut Butter Cups
Just like the energy bars, the coconut butter cups are a favorite too. They consist of a little chocolate cup filled with coconut and coconut oil “butter” and can be flavored to your taste.
Coconut oil is nature’s best boon as it promotes and supports good health and great cooking. It’s good for your skin too!
Coconut Oil Skin Care and Beauty
- Cheekbone Highlighter – Apply a small amount on cheekbones over makeup.
- Shaving Lotion – Close shave and a moisturizer at the same time.
- Facial Scrub – Combine coconut oil with Himalayan crystal salt and apply to face each night. Washing it off is optional.
- Body Scrub – Combine coconut oil and sugar.
- Makeup Remover – Healthier, stronger and longer eye lashes are just a bonus!
- Lip Balm or Lip Gloss – Apply a small amount of coconut oil to your lips.
- Diaper Rash Cream – Apply regularly to the baby’s bottom to improve skin health.
- Sexual Lubricant – Natural and safe lubricant.
- Stretch Mark Preventer During Pregnancy – This safe, healthy oil can be applied multiple times each day to help moisturize your stretching skin.
- Nipple Cream During Breastfeeding – Coconut oil is a popular choice for nursing mothers because it is a natural safe product.
- Massage Oil – Coconut oil is the perfect choice for a massage oil. Not too greasy and with a relaxing scent.
- Body Moisturizer – Apply directly after showering.
- Fade Age Spots – Rub on hands or other areas daily.
- Sunburn Care – A great moisturizer to use after you’ve gotten a bit too much sun.
- Facial Moisturizer – After you wash your face, massage a light layer on your skin.
- Mix in Bath Water – Melt about 1/4 cup in the microwave and add it to your bath water and soak.
- Tanning Oil – Put in a spray bottle and bring to beach. Spray on to keep skin moisturized.
- Dry Feet Treatment – Mix with salt to form a foot scrub.
- Elbow Rub – Helps manage the dry skin on your elbows.